Last week, our technicians Adrian & Ellie gave up their time to conduct a free upholstery clean for the members of Frith Youth Centre in Stroud.
Frith Youth Centre aims to help young people develop through guidance, education, and teamwork, providing empowering opportunities toward interdependence. Most of these are in the form of Youth Drop-Ins with positive activities.
It will come as no surprise to learn that the youth centre’s sofas have withstood some robust use over last few years…
What is involved in a professional upholstery clean?
The first thing we did here was assess the condition of the fabric. As in any family home, fabric is affected by wear (sometimes in the form of teenagers jumping on it), and through an accumulation of soils (from spillages, contact with greasy hands, dust etc.). Our process is carefully specified to ensure that every aspect of potential soil is addressed.
Here is a basic outline of our method:
- Vacuum the fabric – this removes as much dry soil as can be recovered in this way
- Stain treatments – to ensure that specific marks (chewing gum, tea, coffee, takeaways…) are given the right chemical solution to render them soluable for the final rinse process
- Application of a pre-spray – the solutions we use are eco-friendly and safe for pets/humans. They break down the tougher greases and dirt.
- Agitation – for this part, we use either a motorised brush or a “boffin” brush to work the solution evenly throughout the upholstery fabric
- Dwell – this is the period of time required for our solutions to work properly
- Rinse extraction – sometimes called “steam cleaning”, this is the noisy part where we flush all the soiling from the fabric & simultaneously recover it with a powerful vacuum
- Final touches – sometimes we will need to leave an air-mover to accelerate drying, sometimes the knap of the fabric will need grooming to ensure an even finish
The sofas responded extremely well and a huge improvement was made. Not only this, but our method will sanitise the upholstery we work on which leaves a safer and more pleasant environment for everyone.
Here are Bev Roesen’s thoughts about the day’s work:
“Ade and Els have transformed the sofas in our youth club!
The sofas had been used and abused for years – full of stains, marks and smells. They worked tirelessly until they were perfect and then used a treatment on them that will prevent regular marking. We feel confident that they are completely clean and sterile for when we reopen, particularly because of coronavirus.
They were friendly, chatty, knowledgeable and we appreciate their efforts so much. It’s made a huge difference for the young people using our club. I will recommend highly. Bev (Administrator, Frith Youth Centre)”
– It was our pleasure.
Thank you for reading.